- Organized by one or more troops.
- Must serve all girls in the troop(s) for up to one school or up to 3 cross-school troops.
- Organized by volunteers without staff support.
- All (troop, Service Unit, Community) events must be in compliance with all policies listed in Volunteer Essentials and the Safety Activity Checkpoints.
Events & Series
Events and series give girls opportunities to have Girl Scout experiences outside of regular troop activities. They can be events like a one-afternoon badge workshop, a weekend financial literacy program, an educational day at the zoo, and so much more.
Events and series can be planned and presented by adult volunteers, troops, or presented by GSSEM. Girls from throughout the GSSEM service region can attend events and series. They are not restricted to service units or communities. Events and series offer individually-registered girls (Juliettes) and troops of all Girl Scout levels to come together to learn, discover new interests and talents, and have fun together!
GSSEM Girl Scouts can participate in four types of events (Troop, Service Unit, Community, and Council). Girl events are stand-alone offerings provided outside of regular troop meetings. They are typically one-day activities and are occasionally overnight or a weekend long.
Service Unit Events
Series offerings are group programs where the same girls participate in multiple sessions, which can be regularly scheduled (e.g., every other week, monthly, etc.).
- Series can be short or long term, but always shorter than the academic year.
- Girls build on the skills learned at each session (Example of a series would be an 8-session Journey program).
Planning an Event or Series
GSSEM provides helpful resources for troops and individuals who are planning events. Volunteer Community Event Organizers and Troop Support Specialists can help guide troops and individuals planning Service Unit and Community events through the process of getting their events approved and included on the event calendar.
An excellent place to start is the Intent to Event form. This resource can be used to guide any troop or individual planning a Service Unit or Community event through the process.
Service Units at a Glance
Community Events at a Glance
Additional Event Requirements