Outdoor Adventure: TRI Like a Girl Scout!
Hike and bike virtually across Michigan with your sister Girl Scouts as you GO! and explore our beautiful state!
Every mile counts! Girls can log miles in their neighborhoods and local/state parks. Girls can also earn bonus points along the way by taking part in social media competitions, celebrating milestones on social media, and finishing their miles. The event will end with a council-wide service project as part of the Iron Belle Challenge with Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Starting on April 1, 2021 at 12:01 AM EST, teams will have two months to complete 328 miles of biking and 328 miles of hiking—which represent the journey around our Council's border. The challenge will officially end May 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST.
All girls are welcome to participate, regardless of physical prowess!
Cost: $15.00 per Girl Scout (includes a t-shirt and event patch)
Teams will consist of 12 Girl Scouts, whose cumulative mileage will advance them toward the goal.
- You can create your own team (any self-created teams must have 12 members when you register).
- You can register an individual girl, and then we can place her on a team.
- Girl Scout-appropriate team names are highly encouraged!
- The first team to finish will win a special surprise!
- The three teams with the most points will win 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes!
- Every Wednesday - Email check-ins and encouragements
- April 1 - TRI event begins
- April 22-24 - Earth Day*
- May 15 - Kids to Parks Day*
- May 31 - TRI event ends and miles are completed
- June 5 - National Trails Day*
* SOCIAL MEDIA COMPETITIONS:
- April 22-24 - Earth Day: Complete a mini service project!
- Show the earth how much you care, honor a tree outside, plant a tree or native plant, or participate in a citizen science project through iNaturalist or Project NOAH. NOTE: Both platforms have free phone apps.
- Register for an Earth Day service project at Camp Hawthorn Hollow.
- Register for the DNR's Run for the Trees event. NOTE: Cost and registration for this event are handled by the DNR, not GSSEM.
- May 15 - National Kids to Parks Day
Celebrate your favorite park by hiking or biking outside! Share your adventure on social media with GSSEM—and remember to mention what park you went to and why it's your favorite.
- June 5 - National Trails Day
This is the BIG service project! We've partnered with the Michigan DNR for the Iron Belle Challenge! More information will be available in May.
AFTER REGISTERING ON EBIZ:
Once you've registered your individual girl/team for this event on eBiz, please fill out the Individual Girl or Team Signup form* for your TRI Like a Girl Scout t-shirt(s)!
* Your individual girl/entire team must be registered for the event on eBiz before you submit the form.
This is a girl-only event; adults can't count their miles towards the goal. Girls can count their miles even if they're not walking with their troop members. Every mile counts!
Registration deadline: May 1 (or sooner if event reaches capacity)
No full or partial refunds will be available after the registration deadline.
Refunds (minus 25% cancellation fee) will be available when requested in writing (email is acceptable) no later than 15 days before the event date. After that, no refunds of any amount will be issued. Refunds will not be made in the case of alterations in activities due to weather, early release of a participant, or loss of time for medical or behavioral reasons.
Troops are responsible for meeting their own safety ratios, as outlined in Volunteer Essentials Part 3: Safety, and COVID-19 guidelines when meeting in person.