GSSEM appreciates the following organizations for their support of our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) programming over the last year:
- AG Bishop Charitable Trust
- Comcast NBCUniversal Foundation
- DTE Energy Foundation
- Ford Motor Company Fund
- General Motors
- PNC Foundation
Women comprise more than 50 percent of our workforce but hold less
than 25 percent of STEM jobs. GSSEM’s STEM programming is dedicated to
increasing girls’ involvement in science, technology, engineering, and
math. We are preparing girls to become comfortable with STEM at an
early age, and to learn that science is fun. Our goal is to ensure
every girl has the opportunity to explore and build potential career
paths in these fields.
GSSEM's STEM-based programming includes:
- Earning STEM badges, with Girl Scouts of the USA’s (GSUSA) introduction of nearly 80 new Journeys and Badges over the last two years. Badges girls can earn focus on such areas as cybersecurity, engineering and robotics.
- Joining all-girl FIRST Robotics teams. Girls participate in Junior FIRST Lego League teams (grades K – 3); FIRST Lego League teams (grades 4-5); and new for 2018 FIRST Tech Challenge teams (grades 6-8). Five teams attended the FIRST World Championship, which for the first time took place in Detroit.
- Participating in NASA Engineering Design Challenges.
- Earning badges related to innovation and invention at Detroit Maker Faire.
GSSEM would like to thank each and every sponsor for their support! Each and every one of our sponsors are helping to build girls of courage, confidence and character who are making the world a better place.