National Geologist Day: Michigan Rocks! at Indian Springs Metropark
Celebrate National Geologist Day by learning about how rocks are formed and how they change over time!
Girl Scouts will discover why Michigan rocks through interactive lab activities! During the event, you'll:
- Model the rock cycle and use geological samples to understand how different rock types are formed and change over time.
- Make edible rocks and minerals in the lab, then watch as the rock cycle happens right before your eyes.
- Compare actual fossils with organisms alive today and do hands-on fossil identification.
- Go on a scavenger hunt in the exhibit area to find examples of earth materials used in everyday life.
- Find examples of geology in action on a trail hike.
This event is open to Girl Scouts 8 years old and up. Participants are encouraged to bring their own snacks.
Registration deadline: March 23
Refunds for cancellations (minus a 25% cancellation fee) are available when requested in writing (email is acceptable) no later than 15 days in advance of the event date. After this, no refunds of any amount will be issued. Refunds will not be made in the case of alterations in activities due to weather, early release of a participant, or loss of time for medical behavioral reasons.