It’s almost time to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of GSSEM’s International River Crossing! The annual event is THE event of the year and thousands are expected to celebrate the international friendship between Girl Scouts and Girl Guides! This year’s celebration is Saturday, Sept. 30 from 9 am – 4 pm in Marine City and feature a special twist: a Maker-Inventor Faire!
Attendees are going to love all the activities in store that day! Don’t miss the parade heading down Water Street (for the first time) at 1 pm! The parade will include a police car, a fire engine, two floats, clowns, and animals. Participants can also decorate push me-pull me’s (wagons and strollers) or just walk in the parade with their banners.
Dance with the DJ runs from 1:30-3:30 pm. And the fun continues with Stomp Rockets, craft stations, World Centers learning station, Mackinac Honor Guard, and shopping at the on-site Council Shop for t-shirts and trinkets.
NEW THIS YEAR: Maker Inventor Faire! Show off an innovative project full of imagination and creativity! Troops/groups or individuals get a one-hour timeslot to show and tell about their project, as well as special recognition as a participating Maker at the Maker-Inventor Faire! See flyer for details. The first 200 girls to sign up will receive a special Maker Inventor Faire patch!
Earn the Water Drop patch (patch provided while supplies last) at International River Crossing while learning about what lives in ponds, participate in water testing samples from the St. Clair River, watersheds and water conservation and pollution.
Vendors will there, too, presenting hands-on activities:
- Sloan Museum
- Cranbrook Institute of Science
- Michigan Women’s Historical Museum
- Port Huron Museum
- Historical displays from past International River Crossing
- SEA LIFE Michigan Aquarium
- LEGOLAND® Discovery Center
- AZ Lock Sport
- Michigan Science Center
- Leader Dogs
- Oakland University (make a light up SWAP, assemble it and learn about simple electronic circuits!)
- Frolic Farms
- Eastern Michigan Amateur Radio Club (Morse Code activity)
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection, CBPO Enforcement and Border Patrol
- Arts and Scraps will have a hands on activity with Maker telephone, build a bridge and Innovation and Inventions. They will also be bringing their 26ft bus.
- GSSEM First Robotics
- Metro Parks will present fur animal pelts
And of course, don’t forget the main activities of the day: SWAPping and the ferry ride to Canada to visit our Canadian Girl Guides as they celebrate the 150th anniversary of Canada!