Mackinac Island Honor Guard
During the summer, Mackinac Island is host to many Scouts who serve as the Governor's Honor Guard.
The Mackinac Island Honor Guard program began in 1929, when the State Park Commission invited eight scouts to serve as honor guards for the Michigan Governor. In 1974, the program was expanded to include Girl Scouts. Scouts raise and lower the flags in the city and in the fort, serve as guides in the historic buildings and fort, and complete a service project during their week-long stay.
The GSSEM Mackinac Island Honor Guard troops are a leadership program which girls return year after year to perfect their leadership skills. There are three GSSEM Mackinac Island Honor Guard troops serving the island during the summer. While the overall leadership program is the same, other aspects of the troops are different (i.e. dates of service on the island, transportation to/from, and mandatory meeting dates throughout the school year) and this may affect which troop is the best fit for a girl.
Informational meetings listed below are mandatory to attend to receive information on each troop's program. If you have missed the meeting, contact the Coordinator listed for the troop.
The weeks will be assigned by the State of Michigan at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018 and will be posted here as soon as available.
Royal Oak MIHG Troop (generally serves the first week in July)
- Service week: TBD
- Coordinator: Becky Compton | 248.650.3797 | Email
- Girl Applications Deadline: January 1, 2018
- Meeting & Girl Interviews: January 4, 2018 at 7:00pm
Keller Elementary School, 1505 North Campbell Rd, Royal Oak, MI 48067
Grosse Pointe MIHG Troop (generally serves third week in June)
- Service Week: TBD
- Coordinator: Cathy Leverenz | 313.884.0404 | Email | Troop Website
- Meeting: Saturday, October 28, 2017 | 9:30am - 10:30am
- Interviews: Saturday, November 18, 2017
St Paul Evangelical Lutheran, 375 Lothrup, Grosse Pointe Farms
Port Huron MIHG Troop (generally serves in August)
- Service Week: TBD
- Coordinator: Ronni Mainguy | Contact Page
- Adult positions available this year: Applications due January 11, 2018
- Girl applications due: January 16, 2018
- Meeting for All Girls & New Girl Interviews: January 20, 2018, 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Parent Meeting: January 20, 2018, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Port Huron Service Center, 2186 Water St, Port Huron, MI 48060